The color scheme for this project was defined by the artists who were working on the NOVA Open Charitable Foundation armies. However, at some point I decided that Games Workshop (GW) paints were too expensive for the amount of coverage I needed. I figured that I could find alternative brands that were close enough to the shades I needed and save the GW paints for the outermost layers. I spent many hours at my local Michaels craft store (http://www.michaels.com/) and found several paints that would fit the bill. (And at a $1.00 a bottle, it would be no big deal if they didn’t.)
After spackling and sanding, I used my airbrush to prime each table section using Apple Barrel Black.
Once the sections were dry, I base coated each piece with Americana Milk Chocolate. (This is a cheaper alternative to GW’s Steel Legion Drab.) This was put on as a heavy coat for maximum coverage, though some of the black showed through in places.
Next up, the mid color. I decided to go with Folk Art Honeycomb as an alternative to GW’s Zandri Dust. Same thing as before, but I went with a lighter coat, allowing a lot of the brown to show through.
For the highlight layer, I used Americana Buttercup. I thought that matched up pretty well with GW’s Screaming Skull, but after it dried I realized it was too light. I went back over each tile with actual GW Screaming Skull to darken the Buttercup. The final result was an interesting effect that I think looks pretty cool.
|Buttercup and Honeycomb side by side|
At this point, the lines that had been cut into the table needed a little touching up. They were already painted black from the prime coat, but the successive layers of base coats and highlights had dulled the effect. I enhanced them by brushing in a mix of Secret Weapon Green Brown (weathering powder) and thinner as explained in this article (http://40khobbyblog.blogspot.com/2015/04/sons-of-orar-bone-basing.html). It adds just a hint of color to the lines without being messy. This process was repeated for the Hill, as well.
And here is the finished table just waiting for terrain.
Next time: How I painted the terrain!